I am very glad to share with you the following after reading the resources about Nutrition.
What is Nutrition?
To me Nutrition refers to everything that one eats and drinks because a human body uses nutrients from the food to function properly and to stay healthy. The keys to good nutrition are balance, variety and moderation that is eating neither too much nor too little of any food or nutrient.
Nutrition is also a science that interprets the interaction of nutrients and the substances in food whereby to stay healthy, the body needs the right balance of the energy giving foods, the carbohydrates such as maize, rice, potatoes and other grain-based products; the body building foods, Proteins, which include meat, fish, eggs, beans, peas oats and others; then the body protecting foods, the Vitamins, which are found in fruits ad freshly green vegetables as well as essential fats which give the body warmth and flexibility, these are from vegetable oils such as Olives.
Nutrition relates to body maintenance, growth reproduction, health and diseases; it includes food intake, absorption, digestion and excretion as well.
Why is Nutrition important?
The diet is what one eats, which is largely determined by the availability, processing and deliciousness of foods. A health diet includes food preparation and storage methods that preserve nutrients from corrosion, heat or leakage and that reduces risk of food-born illnesses.
Poor nutrition can cause health problems, overweight and obesity. Some of the health problems associated with poor nutrition can be very serious especially in children (mostly in urban areas in Africa) as they grow into adults, that is why it is important that people are told/taught healthy eating habits to prevent these health problems. It is also much easier to maintain a healthy weight than it is to loose weight.
Now here are my views in response to the questions raised by both Nelly and Busi on Nutrition and its importance.
1. Why do you think it is important to talk about nutrition?
Regarding this question, I can say that it is very important for us Farmer program presenters to talk about nutrition because it is what makes the farmers. They need to be informed of what to eat and what not to eat in order to remain healthy so as to be able to till their land everyday and all the time. Being a working force, they need to be healthy both in body and in mind. It is good nutrition which can put farmers in this healthy state so they can get the strength they need to work on their farms as well as use their sound and healthy minds to think on what to do and how to improve on their farming. And also, most peasant farmers have a tendency of neglecting their health and that of their families, they sell off all their produce for money and forget about themselves and their family needs when it comes to feeding.
For example, most poultry farmers sell off their eggs without giving any to the family until on such a day when an accident will occur and one or two eggs break, that will be the change for family members to consume an egg other wise they are all for sale! Even the milk. Farmers despise the vegetables they grow as being a poor person's diet in preference to the urban peoples fried stuff which in most cases are junk!
2. What has been your experience with broadcasting about nutrition? I think I have talked a lot about nutrition in my programs, I have invited experts (Nutritionists) who have explained the importance of good feeding and also eating a balanced diet. The farmers seem to like the programs because they raise a lot of question about their health problems in relation to food consumption. They testify, on air, that they had changed their way of eating after hearing an expert talking about good feeding. I therefore urge fellow Broadcasters to make sure that we tell our audiences what we can lay hand on about Nutrition so as to save them from food related ailments and diseases such as heart diseases, cancer, stroke and diabetes. We should make them change their lifestyles and convince them to do exercises as it is part of good health, tell the to avoid tobacco smoking and drinking alcohol excessively, stress management and how to limit exposure to environmental hazards.
3. How have I explained the concept of nutrition to my listener?
Well, how I have done this is explained in (2) above that is inviting exeperts who explain issue to them as well as answer their questions; I explain to them what I get on Nutrition, such as the resource material we have just been given by the experts in this couse, I have used them plus others from my research, I get people who are suffering from diseases to talk about their diseases and what their diet id, of course I do not do it directly, but some how I make them talk. Phone ins helps the people to share experiences.
4. What farmers seem to know about nutrition: Farmers seem to know a lot about nutrition, but they have learn t it from our radio programs, they say so themselves. But they say it is not easy for them to stop eating and drinking things which they have been consuming all their live. For example, they like fatty meat, to stop eating is they just say "Is it the one which killed my father or mother ?", they know a lot but the problem is changes their habits gotten from their ancestors.
5.The most difficult part of reporting and broadcasting nutrition: People feel that they know what to eat and they eat what is available in their areas also they eat what they can afford which makes it difficult to convince them to adopt new ways of eating especially those who can afford expensive meals and those who are cattle keepers for instance, they can not stop consuming their milk straight from the cow yet this causes tuberculosis and brucella- a type of fever that is caused by consuming meat or drinking milk from a sick cow and they are aware but they say they have been drinking it that way since time in memorial
6) Yes, I think Nutrition should be talked about more for people to understand its importance and given th radio audience they understand something's importance after it has been repeated several times on radio so there is need for it to be talked about. Secondly, some of them might not have heard the previous programs and when the message is repeated it will give the a chance to hear and take heed. You never now. That is broadcasting. You give out the info and whoever listens in may act. Thank you.