Welcome to the Barza nutrition discussion. My name is Busi Ngcebetsha, I am your moderator for this discussion. I have a community radio background and I have been working with different radio stations and organisations, training them in producing radio programmes that speak to their target audiences. I believe radio is a great access to information tool as it reaches more people at any given time.
This discussion is about nutrition, we will look at the role broadcasters can improve knowledge about nutrition as well as explore the nutrition needs of our target audiences and how we can use those needs as ideas for radio programmes. This is a 3 weeks discussion and in each week we will have specific topics that we will be concentrating on.
- In the first week, you will need to introduce yourself and take part in the icebreaker activity which I will introduce shortly. You will also share your understanding on what is nutrition and why it is important.
- In week 2 we will link agricultural production to nutrition.
- In week 3, the final week, we will concentrate on the gender and nutrition.
Now coming back to what you have to do this week, use the same space to introduce yourself and participate in the icebreaker activity. The icebreaker instructions are as follows:
- Your job is to help participants understand what a meal at your kitchen table looks like. To do this, explain what a typical meal you usually eat is or upload an image of a typical meal at your table and
share a story about this meal (this could be as simple as describing what the food your eating is but also how it was prepared or something more).
- Click on "reply", introduce yourself, where you are from and write about and/or upload an image of your meal in your post. Now read everyone else's stories and explain which meal description you preferred and why you would like to share this meal with your fellow participant.
I will also start by sharing a simple meal I would normally have. What you see in the plate is rice, peas, butternut and chicken. The rice, peas and butternut were all boiled and the chicken grilled.